Friday, February 22, 2008

Reverse

It’s funny how the design process is the exact opposite from the process of gardening when it comes to plants. When I was planning my garden, sure, I started with flow, and utilization of space, but when it came to the plants, I started with what plants I wanted. Here, the big issue is “how many types of plants can I put in?” and “what plants do I want?”. Then, comes the problem of “how do I make all these plants into a garden with a cohesive design?” The design process works in reverse of that. The first question is “what plant elements do I want to reinforce my design?” or “what do I want the plants to accomplish in this design?” Then the next question is “what plants are there that satisfy those needs?” There is very little or no room for “fun” plants that have no purpose, or those that don’t fit the design. Although that difference in process could make the difference between “fun” and “work”, I actually enjoy both processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment