Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy Death-Harvest!



Last year, I notice that Death-Harvest occurred at just the same time, in March, almost on the same day (this post is a little late). This year, I have fewer plants that didn't survive the winter, so the death-harvest is smaller. Whether this means that I'm being less experimental with marginal plants, or that I'm getting better at choosing which borderline plants that will survive the winter, is uncertain. Maybe some of each.

Although not completely dead, the Ceanothus coeruleus shown above is pretty severely damaged. Sadly, it may have to come out. I'm trying Ceanothus x delilianus 'Gloire de Versaille' this year.
Cistus purpureus is said to be hardy here, but mine were crispy when I checked them in February.
Agave parryi var. truncata is supposed to be hardy to zone 6 (I'm in 7), but this plant turned into stinky mush after the first freeze.
Prostrate rosemaries 'Severn Seas' and 'Irene' both turned crispy, although 'Irene' held out longer. Still, it's crispy, while 'Gorizia', 'Blue Spires', 'Salem', 'Frimley's Blue' all had a bit of tip damage, but otherwise are fine.
Opuntia 'Santa Rita' survived last years 18" of snow, but croaked in this year's cold.
The kale planted in a pot did not do well at all (I'm not sure that counts, but what the heck).

Hope your Death-Harvest was minimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment