Tuesday, July 29, 2008

hymenocallis



Hymenocallis is a genus of subtropical bulbs, commonly known as the Peruvian daffodil. Personally, I don't think that it looks like a daffodil at all, given its large stature (the flower scape is about 4 feet tall on mine) and large broad leaves. It looks more like a crinum or amaryllis to me. Hymenocallis is native to southern US and South America, and there are dozens of species (check out, for example, the Plant Delights web site). I'm not sure what species this is, being a Lowe's purchase (and you know how well those bulbs-in-a-bin are labelled). I am surprised how hardy it is for such a tropical looking plant, the bulbs surviving my winters which drop into the teens at night. This plant remained after I decided to move them all to a wetter part of the garden (the plants normally grow in very wet ares or even swamps in some species), although in my attempt to move it, I had sliced off most of the bulb. I was surprised when it grew back. This last winter was remarkably cold, but this plant, next to the house, did fine. The other plants, in a shadier and colder area of the garden, must have had some serious winter damage, since the only started growing a week or two ago, and looking rather feeble in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment