Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ceanothus caeruleus

I'm amazed that my Ceanothus caeruleus is starting to bloom. I noticed this first cluster beginning a few days ago. Last year, after winter damage and a hard pruning, the plant started blooming in late July. I was singing its praises in August.

Here it is April, a full three months earlier than last year, and the first flowers are opening. The difference is that this year, after a relatively mild winter, there was much less dieback, and the buds on the ends of the twigs developed flower buds. I'm surprised and impressed, since as you know, I can never get enough of blue flowers. If last year was any indication, this shrub will continue to bloom until November. Not bad, eh?

Then when you realize that this species is not even supposed to survive here, and that the plant tolerates dry conditions, and is not bothered by insects or the rabbits, you might understand why I'm so excited. Granted, the show is not (so far) as exciting as the Ceanothus in California, but those species on the coast bloom for a few weeks in the spring and then are done.

And to think that I almost took the plant out and discarded it, since it looked so severely winter damaged the first and second years. Now it's all: "yes sir, that's my baby; no sir, don't mean maybe; yes sir, that's my baby now!"

Too bad it's crowding out the Eremurus. What do you do when your kids fight?

No comments:

Post a Comment