Monday, April 12, 2010
the new blue
The hubby bought me these tulips when he was in Amsterdam several years ago, and thought that it would be really cool to have blue tulips in my blue garden. The package (above) showed tulips that were sort of blue, a dark bluish purple. I figured that it would be somewhat like the dark purple of Queen of the Night tulips (usually described as black), but with a bluish sheen. Is it my imagination or is the name on the package "blue"? I had him plant them wherever he wanted in the blue garden. What came up wasn't what I would really consider blue. Here's what they look like this year. I think that most people would agree that even given the broadest sense of the word, that this is not blue.
On the other hand, it matches quite nicely with the Cercis canadensis (Eastern redbud) which blooms at the same time.
It also matches nicely with the Santa Rita opuntia that is still at its optimum color.
So lately, when we've been walking around, we remark on the beautiful "blue" redbuds, or whatever "blue" flowers or other objects we see. I.e. "Look at this a beautiful blue car!"
I'm afraid to know what the people who overhear us, think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Hahaha...i've noticed this happens alot with flower catalogs...my favorite is monarda "blue stocking", which is a lovely violet color...but nowhere near what i'd call blue. I find it sort of disturbing how some of them even doctor the photos...making them artificially blue.
ReplyDelete