Sunday, April 18, 2010
tulipa clusiana
I think that Tulipa clusiana (the Lady Tulip) is at its best in the early morning, when the buds are just starting to open for the day. It is at this time that the white interiors are just visible between the pink outer surfaces of the petals. The buds are so slim and graceful.
When the sun strikes the flowers and the warmth of the day arrives, the flowers open fully, and become open bowls of white catching the sun.
The pink outer color is still visible at an angle (here the flowers aren't fully open).
For some reason, the stems on my plants this year are short, so the overall appearance is less graceful than last year. Maybe there was more sunlight this year.
There are also a number of yellow forms, although I don't know why anyone would want them. I think they lose a lot of their grace when yellow. It looks like one got mixed into my bulbs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I dunno. I think the yellow is nice too.
ReplyDeleteI actually like the yellow forms...They seem to me to bring sunshine. I'm still watching my eremurus. How are yours doing?
ReplyDeleteMaybe the yellow just looks funny mixed in with all the white colors. Or maybe I'm just biased against yellow. I'm open to reconsider...
ReplyDeleteNancy: My eremurus is up and bushy, with a lot of seedlings around them. I have my worries however, since we had that late snowstorm which may have damaged the buds. Time will tell. Send me photos when yours bloom!
Well, you already know how I feel about yellow. LOL Beautiful pictures BTW-- Randy
ReplyDelete