Tuesday, April 19, 2011

nolina texana

red form (red stem)

It's always a surprise and a bit of an annoyance when I read in catalogs or on the web how boring Nolina texana is. It is evergreen (sigh!), it is grassy (yawn!), it is a tough native that needs no irrigation but not very impressive (snooze!). Yes, it is all of these, but boring? I beg to differ.

white form (purple buds)
What plant in this climate is evergreen and grassy? Grasses here are either brown in the winter (dormant), or dead (annuals or dead tropicals). I suppose you could claim that Yucca glauca is evergreen and grassy, but I think that calling it grassy is a big stretch.  And before you claim that pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana) is evergreen and grassy, I'm just going to stop you with a "no." Enough said.

blue form (flowers open)

In the winter, when there is so much brown, you have to appreciate its green. It is a perfect textural counterpoint to the other evergreen native plants that don't need much if any irrigation, opuntia, juniper, oak, and pinon.

red form (green stem)

People seem to ignore the flowers of this plant. But it does bloom, for a couple weeks in the spring, with 2-3 foot spikes densely packed tiny lily-like flowers.

blue form, open flowers
 These spikes are attractive from their emergence, to the dried finished stalks (although you may want to trim these if they start looking untidy).



white form curly leaf tips

white form


Granted, the flowers don't last very long only a couple of weeks, but we have bulbs that bloom for only a week and then we put up with the dying foliage and bare expanse of ground for the summer. And sure, from a distance the flowers are not as impressive as a tulip, but they have a beauty of their own.

blue form, flower detail
 
Nolina's evergreen leaves have structure throughout the year. The flowers come in a range of shades as shown, from blue-purple, to reddish to white, although the buds are the most colorful, usually opening to white.

purple form, in bud

Perhaps best of all, the leaves of many plants end in a cute twisting curlique. Not boring at all.

blue form curly leaf tips

1 comment:

  1. I think the bigger yawner are half-dead lollipop trees, potentillas, or maidengrass.

    BTW - Cortederia is evergreen in Abq, and this is the 1st winter in 19 I have seen it go brown. But it is a serious water sucker in our arid climate, not far behind all the favorite stuff in Tanoan, High (un)Desert, etc.

    I like Nolina, too. Along with its' companion plant species, Beargrass speaks of how much different Abq is than Santa Fe in ecology.

    I never noticed the different color and foliage variations you pointed out, only the pink vs. white ones. You are onto something, Mr Wong!

    ReplyDelete