Sunday, June 26, 2011
dittany
Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus) is one of the most commented upon plants in my yard. I would expect that most people would consider this to be a small, nondescript plant and would overlook it, and since it is tucked into a corner of my yard, I am always surprised that people ask about it. Of course, I don't think it is nondescript. I think it is one of the most charming plants in my garden.
It was a big surprise to me that it survived this past winter, since Sunset Western Garden Book lists it as hardy in zones 8, 9, 12-24 (and this is Sunset zone 10), and most places list Dittany of Crete to be hardy zones 8-10 (whereas this is zone 7). It is said to be hardy only to above 15F. This winter the courtyard went down to -5F, which is zone 6. People ask me if it can be used to heal wounds, such as in the Harry Potter series, where Hermione uses Essence of Dittany for that purpose. Well, apparently in Crete it is used as a cure-all. It is edible, and can be used for seasoning. Being an oregano, crushed leaves smell like...oregano.
There are two forms in my garden. Both have pink flower bracts that look identical to each other, but the leaves and growth habits are different. One form (all photos above) has nearly round leaves, which are stiff as cardboard. These leaves are felted with a very fine grey fur. The stems are thin and wiry and the hard leaves are relatively easy to knock off the stems. It is so stiff, that the stems never wilt. It grows low the the ground. The other type has more upright stance, and fleshy stems, which wilt when dry (below). It has soft flexible leaves which have long hairs, and look more green than the other form. Overall the plant has a more lush appearance. You can see which one I like better. Although they self-seed, I've never seen intermediate forms appearing. I wonder if the lusher one is a hybrid between O. dictamnus and O. rotundifolia (both forms were purchased).
Right now, the plants are just starting to put out the bracts and they are still green. They won't turn pink for another couple of weeks. There is no sign of the purple tubular flowers that emerge from between the bracts. I have posted photos of them before. But it is at this stage that I get the most comments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like! That dittany would be great to soften some of my spiky stuff...the first pic's form is perfect.
ReplyDeleteWinter appearance?
DD- In the winter, the leaves of both turn more silvery, with red highlights. The wiry one loses some leaves and looks a bit like a tangled birdsnest, and soft one droops a little and loses leaves at the ends of the stems. Both hold onto the flowering bracts until I prune them off in the spring, or until I accidentally knock against them. Growth in the spring is from the base, like other oreganos, but also from higher up on the stems.
ReplyDeleteI love it too. Sadly last time I tried to grow this and Oreganum 'Kent Beauty' they both got attacked by fat green caterpillars and were pretty much completely devoured before I noticed.
ReplyDelete