Wednesday, June 8, 2011

campanula


I'm not sure why I bought this campanula, but for some reason I bought it, at Agua Fria nursery in Santa Fe. It was probably the heat of the moment. It wasn't in bloom, but it had cute leaves and promised blue flowers. I'm always a sucker for blue flowers. I've lost the name, but the closest that I've found is Campanula sarmatica. It may have been labelled wrong anyway, since I remember doing a web search on the name on the label, and it didn't look like this.

 
 
The salesman also said that if I had to have a campanula, and if it got any sun, this was the one to get. He also said that it was not for a dry spot, which should have had me running. I should have bought some blue columbines instead, but I had to try something new.


 It bloomed for me last year and although the only campanula I've really liked in the past was Campanula rotundifolia, this one was pretty nice, and vigorous for a plant that is supposed to stay moist and cool. I let it set seed, and this spring hundreds of seedlings appeared. I'll have to dead-head this year. Well, some campanulas are known for their weedy nature, so we'll have to see. These are the first to open, so when the plant is in full bloom I'll have to post again. I only bought two plants, and although the general form of the plant is the same, one plant produces more flowering stems which are unbranched and has nearly smooth flowers (above and below), and the other has much fewer flowering stems which are branched, and the flowers are hairy (top and second).

No comments:

Post a Comment