We have learned to bypass most of this entrance trail, however, by skirting to the trails to the south, immediately ascending into the hills. Although it makes for a rude awakening rather than a slow warm-up, there are nearly always Indian Paintbrush blooming, and at this time of year, the cinnamon scent of the Little Leafed Mock Orange (Philadelphus microphyllus). There is also the odd scent somewhat like that of dill, and although I can never discover the source of the scent, it always makes me somewhat hungry. On a previous hike, where the temperatures were in the upper nineties, I returned home to make a salad of diced apples, celery, olive oil and fresh dill weed. It was delicious. I call if Fendler salad.

Today there were some interesting finds. Will caught sight of this plant, that I have yet to identify. It appears to be a parasite since it was always found by the same plants, and there appears to be no photosynthesizing parts. Perhaps it is a relative of the fabled Indian Pipe? I’ll have to see what Dave Ferguson says (if you don’t know Dave, HE DA MAN). Again this year, there was this poppy that I haven’t identified. Aren’t Papaver species from the old world? If so, this isn’t a native plant, and I hope it doesn’t go the way of Tamarisk.
Mystery plant
Alien poppyWe always make an effort to go to Embudo Canyon in late May, because the Epipactis is blooming. Most people don’t realize that there are orchids in New Mexico, but there are a few. To be honest, I haven’t seen any except the Stream Orchid (Epipactis – gigantea?). The first year, I only saw the leaves, but knew what it was since I grew it as a garden plant in Northern California. It also grew on one of the stream banks in Palm Springs (although I can’t remember which one at this time). It is always a delight to find. So I return each year to check the Epipactis growing here. Sometimes I’m too early, and have to return a week or two later to find them in bloom.
It’s a shame that others don’t appreciate this diminutive plant with greenish flowers. There is some apricot to the petals, but it’s not a flashy thing. The flowers are about an inch across, so not particularly dramatic. People walk right on the plants, crushing the fragile stems. But then again, I’m realizing lately how dismissive people are about the plant world in general.
The water was running as full as I have ever seen it.

As we turned the corner to the only place where I know they grow, we saw some Epipactis foliage, but no flowers. Were we too early? I took a few photographs of the running water. Then around the next corner, aha! An Epipactis with two flowers open. Eureka! I still get that thrill of excitement of when I first caught glimpse of this flower in California. A few dozen shots later, and home for some Fendler salad. Or maybe half a container of Lampone Gelato. Yummmm.
Epipactis
No comments:
Post a Comment