
This cistus has weathered the winter beautifully, better than the other cistus that I've planted. C. purpureus croaked in my yard, yet does fine in the ABQ botanic garden. But at my elevation, my garden is at least 5-10 degrees colder, and I get gale force winds. I've killed a dozen varieties of cistus in my yard: Cistus ladanifer var. petiolaris 'Bennet's White', C. x dansereaui 'Decumbens', Cistus x aguilarii (survived but never looked really happy), C. 'Blanche'. I can't remember them all. C. cobariensis did okay, but the flowers were so small that they merged with the apache plume flowers. It was moved, but did not survive the transplanting. Maybe I'll find a place for another. Although this plant was sold to me as C. x aguilarii 'Maculatus', I suspect it is C. laurifolius, since 'Maculatus' is supposed to have a red spot at the base of the petals, and clearly this one does not. That does not make it any less beautiful, and it does work better in my blue garden than 'Maculatus' would. This is the first bloom of the season. Just one flower, and it will drop come evening, but there are more to come.
I just checked: last year, I took photos of this plant on May 21, so I guess it's right on time.
No comments:
Post a Comment