Thursday, May 29, 2008

indoors

Not everything is happening outdoors. The indoor plants are holding their own.

I bought this echeveria (sold unceremoniously by Bloom-Rite as "Pink Echeveria") last year and it has been one tough plant. Despite low light levels, there was no etiolation throughout the winter. I placed it in a sunny window as the weather warmed. Strangely, the division that I put outside has yet to open flowers.


Ascocentrum miniatum has surprised me with a second bloom this year. Last bloom was only two months ago!


Phalaenopsis parishii is a favorite of mine. How could it not be? It certainly is not short on character. This epiphytic orchid from the Eastern Himalayas can be deciduous, has a light grape-like fragrance and best of all, the lip wiggles in a breeze. Natural spread of flowers is 1/2 inch. The roots, which scramble over the moss are attractive as well. It grows potted but perhaps not as well as mounted, and who would want to hide those roots? Click to embiggen.

No comments:

Post a Comment