Allium christophii has a metallic sheen to the petals. The seeds sprout in the spring, but I haven't yet had any survive the marauding animals to bloom.

For some reason, all the hardy cacti that I have look about the same. Pink to magenta. But the plants are a bit different. This one is Echinocereus perebellus, which my friend Ted advised me would do better in the ground than in the pot I had it in. He was right.

I'm letting Penstemon clutei self seed in my front yard, and I'm removing the Penstemon palmeri. Although Penstemon palmeri is native to my area, it is a bit too big for my yard when in bloom, then after bloom leaves a mess of stems. Although it is also fragrant, the flowers are a pale pink, which shows poorly against the stucco. P. clutei is a close relative of P. palmeri, but has much more vibrant flowers, a shorter habit, and blooms off and on all summer.

Salvia coahuilensis from Mexico is supposed to be borderline hardy in my area, but it did much better than the supposedly hardier S. farinacea 'Texas Violet' which croaked, just as it was trying to emerge from winter dormancy (I'll probably try again). The flowers of S. coahuilensis are a bit more purple than the photo shows. I was excited to discover that the plant is stoloniferous, which I discovered this year, but only slightly so, so far.

This sempervivum was barely visible among the gravel. Now it is poking its head up. I can't remember its name, but it came from Agua Fria, and is something like "Icicle." Hmm, that sounds right, but whatever the name, I remember it being appropriate for frosty appearance of the hairs.

Salvia summa is an endangered species. The parent of this plant came from the UTEP plant sale. Fortunately I've given a seedling to Ted, since the stuccoistas only left two alive, and one did not survive the winter.

The Cistus petals have a crinkled look to them, and have brown bits this year. The foliage is still deliciously fragrant.
No comments:
Post a Comment