Friday, June 6, 2008

Philly Foxtail

The tale of the Philly Foxtail continues. This is the plant (labelled Eremurus 'Cleopatra') that I bought at the Philadelphia Flower Show in 2003. It produced nothing the first year and I assumed it was dead. But the next year, it produced one leaf, the next year three leaves, and the following year five leaves. This year, it produced a tuft of leaves, but no sign of bloom when the rest of my Eremurus were well into spiking. I assumed that I would have to wait another year. Then, after I had given up hope, there was a spike. It began blooming just as the others were finishing (you can see the faded 'Cleopatra' behind it), and even in spike, it was clearly not 'Cleopatra'. Cleo has orange flowers, this one is deep yellow, fading to orange. It's probably E. stenophyllus. As much as I dislike yellows, I'm enjoying this one.



1 comment: