Thursday, June 5, 2008

Progression: Eremurus 'Cleopatra'

I have been enjoying watching Eremurus 'Cleopatra' as it burst from the ground, as the spikes appeared and stretched to bloom, as the flowers faded. There is still the ripening of the seeds and the fading of the leaves to come. The time of glory always seems to go by so quickly, and looking at my photos I realize it does indeed go by quickly. When plants bloom on a spike such as this, the peak of bloom only lasts for a few days before the bottom flowers start to fade. I suppose the show lasts as long or longer than most spring bulbs and many perennials, longer than the show of such plants as Oriental poppies and irises. But with flowers as beautiful as this, it's easy to want more. There will be next year.

This photographic progression is all of the same plant in a grouping of 'Cleopatra'.

March 12, 2008


April 3, 2008


April 24, 2008


May 14, 2008


May 17, 2008


May 20, 2008


May 28, 2008


May 31, 2008


June 5, 2008

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a wonderful entry ... both beautiful and informative. I just ordered five Eremurus 'Cleopatra' roots to plant this fall.

    Your photos are very encouraging to me. Do you mind sharing how you prepared the soil before planting? Whatever you did definitely worked! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eremurus is a great plant. You'll love having it. Soil prep is very dependent upon your location. Here, where the soil is mostly decomposed granite, I had dug in about 3 inches of compost a few years before, but that was mostly gone by the time I planted the Eremurus. As you can tell from the photos, the plants were gravel mulched, so not much organic material. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick correction to my previous post: I meant Oriental lily 'Black Beauty'. Oops! :0)
    ~s

    ReplyDelete