The cold destroyed the Osmanthus heterophyllus flowers just as they were beginning to open. Very disappointing. But there are a few spots of floral color in the garden left. Rosemary 'Gorizia' (above) is still pumping out some flowers, but it is the form of the plant that I'm most impressed with. Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus, below) will keep its color for some time even after freeze-dried by winter cold.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
remaining
The cold destroyed the Osmanthus heterophyllus flowers just as they were beginning to open. Very disappointing. But there are a few spots of floral color in the garden left. Rosemary 'Gorizia' (above) is still pumping out some flowers, but it is the form of the plant that I'm most impressed with. Dittany of Crete (Origanum dictamnus, below) will keep its color for some time even after freeze-dried by winter cold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The dittany is cool. Puts me in mind of 'shrimp plant'.
ReplyDeleteAre they related?
Yes, I love dittany. It's so cute. "Essence of dittany" is in Harry Potter used for healing wounds, but I didn't see any reference to that in my herb books. Incidentally, "Dittany of Crete" is Origanum dictamnus (an oregano) but regular "Dittany"is Dictamnus albus or "burning bush" which is an herb in the citrus family.
ReplyDeleteShrimp plant usually refers to Justicia brandegeana, golden shrimp plant refers to Pachystachys lutea. Both are in the family Acanthaceae. Dittany of Crete is in the family Lamiaceae (mint family). So although they look similar, they are not closely related.
You have just the most amazing amount of knowledge. I can tell you love it!
ReplyDeleteWe would familiarly call the shrimp plant "stackys", and now I know why. It isn't because they look like someone "stacked" the flowers.
I imagine you got plenty from the Potter books, with all the plant references. Language and word origin use was one of the many attractions for me that the books held.
Countdown to thesis