Tuesday, June 22, 2010

campanula


I don't remember the name of this Campanula that I bought from Agua Fria nursery last year. I inadvertently tossed the labels in my haste to get the house ready to put on the market. All I remember is that the guy said that if a campanula was to get any sun, to get this one. I have been watering diligently (horrors!) and watching every move it has made, from the emergence from the bare ground in the spring, to the ever-so-slowly expanding leaves, to the lengthening of the flowering shoots, the expansion of the buds, and today, to my surprise, the opening of the flowers. I say surprise, because I remember the flowers being quite large in the photos on the web of whatever species this is, when I initially researched it (when I knew its name). I also thought it was going to be bell shaped rather than star shaped in flower. Still, the hairy flowers are quite nice, and a nice color at this time of the year, when the color and form complements that of lavender which has started to bloom. It's 10 inches tall, and the flowers are  1-1/2 inches across in natural spread. I don't know if I would recommend it yet. Too early to tell, and since I've been babying it, I don't know how drought tolerant it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment