Sunday, December 25, 2011

little stars


Brassavola Little Stars has obligingly opened its flowers precisely on Christmas day. I wasn't sure if I had lost all my Little Stars during my move last year, as I had had to throw out all my big plants and only saved a few tiny divisions. The two cross-country moves were not good for my plants and Little Stars was not an exception. All the plants sat for months, with no growth. I placed them in my orchidarium, and all the plants started to grow roots, and flower buds. They are late, though, usually opening for Thanksgiving, and the plants are not looking as strong as previous years. I'm wondering if I should remove the flowers so that the plants can save energy for growth in the coming year.

If I had to choose one orchid to grow and was not able to grow any others, it would be a tough choice between Brassavola  Little Stars and Neofinetia falcata. Both are tough, easy-to-grow orchids, with white flowers and an intoxicating fragrance. Fortunately I don't have to choose, and Little Stars blooms in the winter, and the Neo's bloom in the summer. Unfortunately, I don't see Little Stars for sale much any more.

2 comments:

  1. I had a Brassavola nodosa for years when I lived in New Jersey. I hung it out in a tree on my deck for the summer and it would always get buds just before the temperature in the fall forced me to bring it in which of course made them promptly shrivel up.

    ReplyDelete