Monday, December 19, 2011

new house, not new garden


I'm buying a new house. Again. Not this house. This is the house that I almost bought, but the sale fell through for a strange reason at the last moment. It's been very trying and part of the reason why I haven't been posting much lately (the other reason, is simply the season and being very busy at work). But comparing the first house to the one that I am now expecting to buy, has me thinking. As much of a plant person and a garden person as I am, I still say that I am buying a house (gasp!) I don't say that I am buying a garden. It is a strange and unsettling realization that even I put the house first.

I'm certain that there are plant people who look at the garden first, and yes, when looking at houses, the first thing I do when I enter the property for the first time is make a beeline for the garden, and if that passes muster, then I look at the rest of the house. I'm not necessarily looking for a perfect garden, but a garden that has the right potential for what I want to do (grow lots of plants).

So it is a bit of a shock to me, that I am buying a house. The house that I'm expecting to buy has very little in the way of garden despite being on more than half an acre, which is a bit of a disappointment (the garden, not the lot size), given that the first house had three gardens (and a smaller lot size). I'm buying a house. I'm not buying a garden. It's freaking me out. Maybe I'm not such a garden person as I think I am. But of course, I'll make a garden. I always do.

5 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite at the moment (though I am renting not buying). I'm moving next week and all I cared about was the garden. But half an acre sounds like it at least has potential. I think I would rather have a blank slate than someone else's already designed garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I've just got to have the funds to do my own garden. It will take some time, but should happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No loss losing that house...that scene and birch trunks may look OK, but it won't be long, so foreign to most sites in the desert.

    I hear you - I actually desire a clean slate, as removing bad design and the wrong plants (especially trash trees) is way too expensive! It is nice to start and think through what is where, so the usual plant person additions, deletions, changes go much easier.

    Can't wait to hear more about your new place, Mr. Real Estate buyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More good points. I'll have to have you over to see what you think...and maybe in the future, the bad design that I'm removing won't be my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all that empty potential you are buying.

    Nothing wrong with a blank slate. Go slow and look for passalong plants.

    ReplyDelete