Monday, April 16, 2007

More on The Brad

Here’s Craig Campbell’s e-mail response to my rant on “the Brad” as I have come to call the ‘Bradford’ pear. I think I like the word vituperation. I’ve got to use it more.

“I have to take exception with your extreme vituperation regarding Pyrus calleryana cultivars! We have in northern New Mexico one of the shortest lists of trees tolerating our climate of any region in the country; and the P. calleryana selections are appropriately on that list. While the general attitude toward the tree on a national scale is that they are overused. I don’t agree with that assessment here. At the State Capitol in Santa Fe there is a formal line of flowering pears lining the main entrance to the building from Old Santa Fe Trail; they have been planted for at least 30 years with no obvious branch breakage – likewise the ones at St. Francis Drive and Cordova at the Montoya Building for 20 years. It is simply not true that they need much water; in fact like most fruiting pears and apricots, they are extremely drought tolerant; and I have seen abandoned pear orchards on the road to Los Alamos with some of the pear trees still surviving. In addition, as about the only tree with both profuse spring flowers AND reliable bright red fall color, that factor alone would make me add the tree to a plan. There are at least four columnar cultivars – ‘Chanticleer’, ‘Capital’, ‘Whitehouse’, etc. that are extremely valuable where street trees are required in narrower spaces. If there is any tree that is overused and problematic, it is Purple Robe Locust; but even with the problems, I also continue to rely heavily on those trees as well due to the lack of alternatives!!!”

Point taken. Here’s the difference: Craig has had many more years using and this tree in New Mexico than I have, whereas my experience has been Philly. Here in Albuquerque I only see it planted surrounded by well-watered lawns. Maybe it’s a great performer here, and perhaps the climate somehow keeps the tree from forming weak crotches. To support Craig’s point of view, I haven’t seen any limb loss here in Albuquerque, whereas it was all over Philly. Will this change my opinion of The Brad? Well...maybe. (By the way, I did in fact mention some other cultivars which are said to be better than The Brad). Craig sent me some photos to prove his point. Okay, Craig, it’s a pretty tree (and even though I might prefer the odd angularity of apricot tree limbs to lollipops, I've been known to have unconventional tastes when it comes to plants, and I have to admit that this pear does have better flowers and fall color).




But I still hold tight to my criticism of the presentation. Students need better plants education if all they know is one tree. I still feel that when you choose a tree, you have to know its potential pro’s and con’s, especially if you are specifying a tree by name early in the design process. Now about that building…

“His loafers were Weejuns,
His chino’s were black,
With a cute little buckle,
That fastened in back,
From the first that we met,
I dreamed of romance,
With Bra-ad…”

Now if you know know that reference I’ll buy you an delicious Abate Fetel pear (if I can find one).

No comments:

Post a Comment