Among other clean-up tasks, I tackled Stachys byzantina 'Helen von Stein' today.
Before
After
And the mess:
I'm not sure if this is all necessary. Perhaps the dead leaves make a mulch that the plant prefers. I leave them on all winter to provide protection, but I've never been able to just leave it all alone in the spring to see what happens. The little shoots just seem to be so overwhelmed by all of last year's debris that I just have to set them free. It is tedious work, but so satisfying. Anyone have experience with this?
Just as a reminder, this is how they looked during the growing season last year:
'Helen von Stein' acts differently for me than other Stachys byzantina. Although the same species as the common lamb's ears, Helen's leaves die from frost, whereas the plain species does not. It's flower heads look different as well, as well as being sparse. It acts like a different species. Stachys byzantina 'Silver Carpet' also does not die back in the winter, although it does seem to suffer more than the self sown seedlings that appeared in my yard one year.
This is how Stachys 'Silver Carpet' looks today, a little droopy, and with a few damaged leaves, but otherwise pretty green compared to Helen today (top photo). 'Silver Carpet' also forms a congested clump.
And this is how the seedling Stachys looks today, unfazed by the cold. The stems run along the ground much more than 'Silver Carpet' as well, making the growths space out more. Altogether, it has a nice winter appearance, but I do have to deal with all the spent flower stems in early summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment