Wednesday, March 17, 2010

madison

I guess Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Madison' isn't hardy in my kind of zone 7.

I was thrilled by the possibility of growing the star jasmine. I had grown up with it, and the flowers are one of my favorite floral fragrances. My aunt had a walk planted with them, and the vines wound up a lamp post. In bloom, the fragrance was almost overwhelming. My sister hated it, but I let myself drown in scent. The apartment complex I lived at when I went to college in Southern California also had them planted, and walking home from the library at night, they were a happy greeting for me. Better than a puppy. When I lived in Philadelphia, I resorted to growing T. asiaticum on my windowsill. It wasn't very happy, but it did produce two or three flowers that I sniffed ecstatically. I wasn't quite the same fragrance as T. jasminoides, but it sufficed. I tried T. jasminoides here, and the couple of plants survived the first winter, and died the next. T. jasminoides 'Madison' is supposed to be hardy to zone 7, and I searched high and low to find plants. I had one sent to me, and the first year, grew it in a pot in my entry. It survived the winter. That summer, I took cuttings, and last summer I planted them out. This fall, I threw some branches over the plants for protection. Clearly not enough. It's all very sad, but at least the plant under the eaves is still alive.

2 comments:

  1. Just gone through your blog and found it awesome. The header image showing flowers looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad, indeed. The fragrance of plants can create very strong memories. A whiff of that memorable fragrance, years later, can put you right back in the time and place where you first encountered them. I had T. jasminoides planted by my back door in Atlanta. It didn't get enough sun to bloom profusely, but those few little blooms were heaven.

    Another fragrant plant I had in Atlanta that I loved was Osmanthus fragrans. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete