Wednesday, June 23, 2010

mange


 Mexican feather grass (Nasella tenuissima) is all silky goodness in the early spring, but come this time of year, what you get is mangy dog. The seeds and their once-silky plumes clump up like dreadlocks.  I suppose you can comb it out. This cool-season grass will then remain a mostly blond-brown tuft for the rest of the year.

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE Mexican Feather Grass and have some in my garden too.

    i have a new fresh blog if you would like to take a peek,
    it is HERE.
    Happy Summer!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess mange can be appealing in its own way? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you consider cutting out the mange?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I don't grow N. tenuissima because of its invasive ways and what I consider a shabby summer appearance. My friend planted one plant and two years later, his gravel-mulched yard was engulfed. Every crack in the sidewalk, every spot in the yard, and even the neighbor's yard across the street grew this grass. It is also a short-lived grass, and although plants are easily replaced with the gazillion seedlings produced, it involves a tedious digging out of the ratty old clumps of thatch which develops quickly. From what I've seen around town, plants are best replaced at least every 2-3 years when the thatch builds up, or maybe the old plants dug out every year after they seed. Yes, the mange can be combed out with a coarse-toothed comb, but I've just preferred to grow something else with a better summer appearance. I don't mean to denigrate those who appreciate the grass, since it IS quite beautiful for those few weeks in the spring, and there are certainly many plants that I grow that others think are garbage. Maybe if my yard's design were different, or if I liked feather grass monoculture...

    ReplyDelete