Wednesday, June 9, 2010

coahuila

Salvia coahuilensis started blooming a few weeks ago. Although it doesn't have an enormous amount of flowers at a time, it does continue to bloom for a few months. It then gets rather rangy looking and I prune it back hard. A few weeks later it starts blooming again.



This winter must have been a cold one, since the plant died to the ground this year, springing back with the warm weather.



This Salvia is a stoloniferous one, meaning that it spreads by underground stems. The first year not so much, and only a bit the second. It is now spreading so vigorously that I worry about its aggressiveness and unhesitatingly pull any unwanted sprouts that appear. It also self seeds rather enthusiastically, so I'm keeping my eye out for invasiveness potential. It's not a native plant. Although it comes from Mexico which doesn't sound that far away, Coahuila is at least as far from Albuquerque as, say, Las Vegas.
I have my doubts as to whether or not this is truly S. coahuilensis, since it does not match the description of S. coahuilensis in Betsy Clebsch's book, but that's how it was labeled when purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment