Monday, July 4, 2011

salvia pachyphylla


Plants are like people. When I first see a plant, I may get an impression that may or may not hold true as I get to know them.  Some plants look like I could be great friends with, but after some time they get on my nerves and I don't associate with them anymore. Some show qualities that I don't appreciate (they could be drinkers, or stingy, or sluggish, or apathetic, or too aggressive, or imposing). Some plants have these annoying qualities that make me first want to get rid of them, but then they grow on me, so that I learn to love them in spite of their faults. They are the ones that most remind me of people. Salvia pachyphylla is one of those plants. I was immediately attracted to the appearance of the plant: the leaves, the flowers, and the fact that it tolerates dry and has a nice fragrance. As I grew it, I discovered that it grows nicely eventually forming a bush 3 feet across and 2 feet tall, has impressive blooming, tolerates dry conditions very well, blooms for a long time and has good winter appearance. I discovered also, that it is susceptible to root rot, has a propensity to die suddenly, that it is impossible for me to propagate by cuttings, and that the oils from the leaves clings to hands and clothing and does not wash off with soap and water. I was tempted to remove it all from my garden. It self-seeded very modestly, however, and new plants replaced those that died. These plants have grown on me, and now I consider S. pachyphylla to be an old friend.

3 comments:

  1. Cool that plant grew on you, as opposed the wrong people! Nice anology.

    I spotted one I ride by all the time, which has been there the entire time. Too bad they are finicky in places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when it was on the cover of High Country Gardens' catalogue and I ordered it immediately. Unfortunately, I was never able to make its acquaintance since it died soon after planting. I was a little miffed at HCG for failing to mention how finicky this salvia can be. I'll have to give it another try. A very nice old friend to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, hope it becomes a lasting friend for you. Remember when you plant it, to water very sparingly, even to the point of letting it wilt before you water it. Of course, let it get too dry and it will get crispy - like the one I just planted!

    ReplyDelete