Saturday, September 3, 2011

agastache time

Agastache 'Firebird' (front) and "Son of Sunrise" (back)

It's been agastache time for the last month actually, but with the rain that we've FINALLY received, they are now blooming their little heads off. Since there has been a wrinkle with my move to the new house, I had time to take a few photos today, which was supposed to be moving day. This year, I moved my 'Firebird' to a new location since I felt that the form and color was interfering with my appreciation of Karl (as in Calamogrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Forster'). I also moved the one that I call "Son of Sunrise" (one of the many offspring of 'Desert Sunrise' - I really shouldn't use the ' since it is not an official name but I couldn't help myself, so I'll use the " to denote that I'm quoting myself), and I think it forms a nice counterpoint to 'Firebird'.

Agastache "Son of Sunrise" (front) and 'Firebird' (back)

'Ava' has also been blooming, but it doesn't look very happy this year. I think it needs more sun. Something to keep in mind when growing Agastache's: they need full blazing sun even in this climate, and they need a lot more water than you might think. They need about as much water as Echinacea, which in my garden seems almost riparian.






1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post...love Agastaches. I think of those 3, 'Desert Sunrise' is my favorite. 'Ava' has lovely blooms, but the foliage and form of 'Sunrise' is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete