Saturday, March 21, 2009

eremurus progress

I love every stage of growth that Eremurus goes through, from its emergence from the soil, to the spires of beads the seed pods make. The leaves have a sculptural appearance and a subtle depth of color. During the night and in cool spells, the leaves bunch together more tightly in vase form, and during warmer spells, the leaves splay a bit, in a slightly more star-shaped form. Either way, I find them entrancing.

2 comments:

  1. I am watching the progress of your eremurus. I planted a few last fall, so they are new for me. Mine are a little bit behind yours - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. I'd expect in your part of the country they'd be way ahead of mine. The months of barren ground in late summer, fall, and winter when the plants are dormant, is a tough downside to these plants. Mine are overplanted with agastache for summer/fall bloom.

    ReplyDelete