Friday, March 13, 2009

like water for chocolate

Living in New Mexico sometimes feels to me that I've married Rosaura instead of Tita (click for bad English dubbing of the movie - go to 1:50. I recommend seeing the movie if you haven't, but in Spanish with subtitles). Some of these plants, while certainly worthwhile and deserving of appreciation, are only substitutes for my true love. These are plants that are beautiful and would not grow well (if at all) in a climate more to my choosing, but they can be only reminders of my very first passion which does not exist in the place where I am now. Although Rosaura has her qualities, sometimes I look into my heart and see that I just want Tita.

Fortunately, plants are not like people...and the heart can be fickle.

2 comments:

  1. About the heart, some people say “the heart is deceitful above all things”, but I guess it’s not true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why, then, we are supposed to trust our heart foremost? I've also heard it said that the heart does not lie. Maybe it depends on the person, and the fickleness of humanity.

    ReplyDelete