'Blue Spires' has bright violet-blue flowers. Although the plants are very upright, they don't look like miniature Italian cypresses as they are described in the Sunset article on rosemaries. Nevertheless, it does have nice sculptural form, and the flowers are striking.
This is an unnamed rosemary from Home Depot, that my partner planted in his yard. It was pathetically small, about one inch tall in a four inch, waterlogged pot. Over the next several years, however, it grew incredibly quickly, and bloomed so heavily that the leaves could hardly be seen. I had to have one. This cutting in my yard is in its second year, and isn't blooming as heavily as his. Yet (I hope). It has soft dusty blue flowers.
'Frimley Blue' is still going strong, and has been blooming since November. That's quite a haul, even considering that I have it growing in a pot protected by the roof of my south facing entry. Flowers are bluer than the photo shows.
'Gorizia' is a plant I love, even though the flowers are more lavender-pink than the blue I get excited about (compare this photo to those above, the color being fairly accurate). The flowers are also scattered among the long thick leaves so that they are not as prominent as in other rosemaries, but the bloom time is long. It also reblooms in late summer. The foliage is lightly ginger scented, and not as strongly flavored as most culinary rosemaries. This is a good thing if you tend to have a heavy hand with seasonings, or just want a lighter flavor. The main reason I value this plant is the plant form. Unlike the typical bushy mounds of most rosemaries, this one has grown into a sculptural form, with upright yet slightly spreading branches that are thick and not heavily branched, so you can see the form of each branch. I hear that it spreads widely with time, but I am pruning the spreading branches when I harvest leaves for cooking.
Thanks Forest - I am appreciating rosemaries at this time of year, too! Increasingly I plant things that really like this Santa Cruz Mountains climate. The camellias also are out full and beautiful, as are the hellebores, and the violets. Spring is always a surprise to me - not sure why - but somehow I forget how fresh and new everything will look.
ReplyDeleteSigh...camellias. Once upon a time. I'm so jealous.
ReplyDelete