Thursday, January 21, 2010

brown 2

I love the rich brown of these honey locust seed pods. They look almost like carob pods, but not as tasty. My neighbors hate the mess they make, but I think they are cool. They hang on the tree for a good while, and make a nice rattling sound in the wind.

3 comments:

  1. I am always surprised when someone calls a tree "messy".
    I guess if you are trying to keep your pool filter clean...

    Does this locust make fragrant blooms? I had one in a Texas yard that had huge white clusters of perfumed flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are several Honey Locust varieties that do not produce seeds, but neither do they produce a nice rattling sound in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers on this tree are so small that they are forgettable, and it is surprising from such a small flower that such a large pod is produced. The flowers are not fragrant. I wonder if you are thinking about a Black Locust, which has white fragrant flowers?

    I think my neighbor would happily forgo the ratting sound as well as the pod cleanup! But I think I would miss it.

    ReplyDelete