Friday, January 1, 2010

first day

Having a day that is totally unplanned is such a rare luxury. In my garden I was excited to find these Iris reticulata points appearing under the salvia. Spring may be a few months away, but there are signs of life!

I discovered that my rain barrel has made some ice sculpture.

We went on a hike, with the bright New Mexico sun keeping us (somewhat) warm.

I was mesmerized for a few minutes by the sparking snow on the boulders.

And the patterns the snow made in the grass.

I was determined to catch a view of the prickly pears covered in snow (who knows why!).

Gaillardia seed heads are so cute.

Such a New Mexico scene, the photo had to be taken.

3 comments:

  1. Iris peekings! Yippie!

    I would have had to get the 'snow-on-opuntia' too. It's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots, I love the sparkly snow & the patterns.
    What kind of tree is that in the background with the boulders?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the tree is Quercus grisea, the grey oak. It's of the right size and leaf shape. Sometimes grey oaks are more spiney and get me confused with Q. turbinella, the scrub oak, and rumor has it that they interbreed (gasp!).

    ReplyDelete