Wednesday, February 17, 2010

first flowers

When I wen out this morning, there was no hint of anything but a winter garden. When I went out in the afternoon to enjoy the sunshine, I was greeted by the first bulbs to bloom.



The first of the reticulata irises struck my eyes as I stepped out the door, and I think my heart stopped for a bit. Poking out of the faded leaves of Artemesia versicolor, the color stands out from the otherwise grey and brown landscape.



For the last few years, I had thought the snow crocus had perished. But this past winter's moisture must have given it an extra boost of energy to produce a pale blue 1/2 inch blossom that catches the fleeting warmth of the February sun. What could be more delightful?

 And how considerate of them to bloom together.

3 comments:

  1. your flower photos are a joy to behold. Each and every one of them. Keep on posting some more blog like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color of that Iris is spectacular! Gotta love the surprize bulbs popping thru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was kind of them to bloom together. Really lovely how the crocus just glows

    ReplyDelete