Friday, February 26, 2010

imladris

I've always wanted to live at the Last Homely House, also known as Imladris or Rivendell, the house of the half-elvish Elrond in J.R. Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings. Who wouldn't? Of course it doesn't exist, and even if it did, I couldn't afford it.

When the Corbetts designed Village Homes in Davis, California, they were obviously enthralled with the idea of the idyllic use of land by the hobbits and the elves as portrayed in the books. If I couldn't live in Rivendell, I sure could be comfortable in the happy home of the hobbits, the Shire.

 
 
It is amazing that the concepts in Village Homes continue to be ignored, although now, almost 40 years after it was built, we are beginning to see water harvesting, edible landscapes, and surface water management in common consideration. I'm sure that either Underhill or Overhill would be perfectly lovely.


Although I'm not sure I'd want to live in Bree, it might be nice to visit the Prancing Pony.


And I'm sure Buckleberry has some fine establishments among the blooming almond trees.
 

 Although it is only February, the daffydownlilies are blooming in the Shire.






1 comment:

  1. Growing up, my church's parsonage was in a neighborhood where all the streets were named for Santa's reindeer, including Rudolph.

    ReplyDelete