Just a couple of examples, although I bet you can send me a couple from your neighborhood. The front yard above is only lawn and poodles. I suppose I shouldn't say that I'm totally horrified, since it is kind of cool in an Edward Scissorhands sort of way. All the shrubs in the yard below are pruned into a sphere, some being more spherical than others. It too is kind of interesting, but I think it would be more interesting if the shrubs were just a bit more densely planted (it was photographed along the long axis to appear more dense than it appears in person). In this garden precision is key, so that the oblong shrubs ruin it for me. The gravel ground plane also is distracting to me; I would have preferred even smaller mounds or at least a living ground plane, so that the spheres would look like they were bubbling out of the ground. But I like the variation in sizes of the spheres.
Ah, NE Abq - the convergence of the worst of Orange County CA and Iowa, deficient design, disregard for outdoor living, and turquoise coyotes!
ReplyDeleteThe question is how to raise up the bar...18 years living here, and I am just not sure!
I've changed my mind. The deer around here do a good job of pruning compared to the horrors you see. At least we have a season when we can shoot the offenders.
ReplyDeleteWiseAcre: Well it would be more effective than issuing "plant torture" tickets (and fines) that I wish I could do.
ReplyDelete