Wednesday, July 28, 2010
annuals, veal
For some reason, I've been averse to annuals lately. When I was young, annuals were just the best. I loved growing them from seed, and their fast growth was such a joy. I'm not sure why I stopped growing them. (Calibrachoa above, Angelonia below)
Perhaps I saw them as passe. I also didn't have the time, energy, and window space to grow seeds, and frankly, the selection of annuals here in Albuquerque is poor (and, I think, they are shockingly expensive). One annual that I planted a few years ago, Nicotiana sylvestris, self seeded with such abandon, that it had to be removed. Or should I say "they" had to be removed as thousands upon thousands of seedlings sprouted and the plant turned out to be perennial in my garden. Years later, I'm still pulling seedlings.
I also do not find acceptable the practice of growing tropical perennials, shrubs or bulbs as annuals. To me, an annual is a plant whose natural life span is a year. It is a plant that grows from seed, grows to maturity in one season (be it summer or winter), and then dies. Growing plants in the summer, knowing that they will die when winter cold comes when in their natural or preferred environment they live for years, is like eating veal. To me, it is immoral.
I will only accept it if those plants are taken indoors or into a greenhouse, to grow through the winter. By this, I don't mean a sickly etiolated mass of yellow foliage. I don't consider bringing a Brugmansia into the garage to survive the winter defoliated and dry, to be acceptable. It's veal. (Which is what made me hesitate to purchase the Catharanthus, the Angelonia above, or the Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost', below. I had to compromise my ideals since they are veal. At least they are not hibiscus shrubs, or colocasia, but why should I make that distiction? The snapdragon, bottom, might be considered veal, but it can overwinter in my climate).
This year, with preparing my house for sale, I remembered that for lots of flowers, consistently and constantly, annuals can not be beat. I planted a few. I learned that even annuals can be killed by the intense heat and sun. Angelonia has performed adequately in morning sun, but those planted in afternoon sun while still alive, do not bloom. Impatiens need more water and fertilizer than I realized. Calibrachoa can not tolerate the intense heat of full sun in a pot. Dwarf snapdragons need manual dead-heading. Vinca (catharanthus) is a gluton for heat, sun and moisture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice pictures! I like the close up of the snapdragon.
ReplyDeleteMary
Veal. That's a really good analogy.
ReplyDeleteI too, try not to deliberatly kill my plants.
With mixed success. Gardening in Phoenix is brutal, and I've still not got the knack of what to bring in for the summer and what to bring in for the winter.
Oh, the carnage.
Annuals are a must have in my garden. At first I was adverse to them, thinking I would rather plant things more permanent. But with our long hot and humid summers, color is needed to carry the garden through until fall. Besides, being a bit indecisive, I have made no space commitment beyond the season.
ReplyDelete