Friday, July 30, 2010
not sunrise
This is a descendant of Agastache 'Desert Sunrise' from High Country Gardens. Although the original 'Desert Sunrise' did well the first year or two in my garden, from then on the plants just had blind flowers and grew in a stunted fashion. Two died suddenly in the middle of the growing season, the third died the following winter. The plants did produce dozens of seedlings when they were blooming well, however, and although the seedlings were variable, produced flowers similar to the original. The plants were quite variable in their vigor, however, and also in their leaf shape and color (some looking more like the A. cana grandparent, and some looking more like the A. rupestris grandparent). I saved two, not having room for more. They seemed about the same last year, planted side by side, but this year one grew strongly, and the other just produced a few spindly stems. I complained before about the faded colors of Agastache flowers, and this is no exception.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting to read about the problems you experienced with agastache 'Desert Sunrise.' I will keep an eye out for it, as I'm growing that plant right now.
ReplyDelete