Wednesday, July 28, 2010

pachyphylla


Salvia pachyphylla has been blooming for a month or so, but I haven't had the time to photograph it. It's still looking good, despite the heavy rain yesterday, which makes the big flower heads very heavy.



It's loved by hummingbirds and hawk moths. The rabbits don't touch the sticky resinous leaves. It smells good in a sagey, herbal way, although the scent rubs off onto hands and clothes and doesn't wash off easily. Unfortunately, Salvia pachyphylla is highly susceptible to soil fungus.This plant has survived without any irrigation for the last 3 years.


1 comment:

  1. First time I've come across a blog writing of this plant in bloom. I bought it the first year High Country Gardens was pushing 'Blue Flame' but it was a nonstarter for me in zone 10. From your comments, I might try it again and give it the full xeric treatment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete