You may be wondering why I'm posting photos of dead plants. Well, I've been so happy with this sweet alyssum on my porch, which survived my 4 month absence with aplomb, then survived through December, blooming its head off. This last cold spell was too much for it, though, and finally did it in. Very sad.
On the other hand, isn't calibrachoa supposed to be a tropical annual? Then why has it survived this long on the North side of the house despite single digit temperatures and snow? Although it isn't looking great, it certainly is far from dead. I'll just have to wait to see if it survives through spring. If so, I'm taking cuttings and planting it everywhere (which means, of course, the two open spots where plants died while I was away).
The ranunculus tubers that I brought back from California are coming up. I'm amazed by this, since I bought them (75% off!) as dried, hard tubers that looked deader than a doornail. Well, 2 of 8 came up, but the tubers do sprout erratically, so I'll just have to wait and see if the rest come up. They probably need more sun than I can provide them indoors, but I just had to see.
You do have to love the sheer tenacity of some plants to live in spite of everything! BTW...welcome back, I've missed your posts!
ReplyDeleteVery nice surprise, I would not have guessed that!
ReplyDeleteThen again, Luigi the Arquebina Olive, she's-a-doing a-fine! In the pot, outside, just some drinks here and there, under the shade ramada. Except the birds got the only olive.
Thanks, Scott, it's good to be back!
ReplyDeleteI like how you named the olive I gave you, DD. Keep me updated on how Luigi does with the cold. Since you got single digit temperatures, I'd be excited to see him do well.
Even when I'm not a gardener I'm so glad to have you back, if I'm allowed to say so. My last comment was rejected first because the mail adress was unknown, so I felt a bit lost about you, that improves now perfectly. Happy New Year Forest!
ReplyDelete