Thursday, January 6, 2011

magazines

What's happened to Horticulture magazine? It used to be such a resource for cutting edge growing. It used to have profiles of unusual or newly introduced plants (remember when Alstroemeria was new?). It used to have fantastic gardens. It used to have great how-to guides (made me want to grow cyclamen from seed). It's where I first learned about Eremurus. It was my treat for finishing my homework (or starting my homework), say in Organic Chemistry when I was in college. I have every issue cataloged on my shelf since 1995. Now it's a throw-away rag, with poor paper quality, poor writing skills, poor photography, poor page design and worst of all, very little information. They should title it "Pretty Flowers in My Garden." On one hand, I hope that it doesn't go under like so many magazines have recently. On the other hand, I can't bear to spend money on a subscription when all I can think of when it arrives is "why bother." So I've let my subscription lapse after 15 years of collecting.

Fine Gardening is a bit better. It has better paper quality, better profiles, and better design ideas. I can spend a few minutes paging through it. Maybe even 5-10 minutes. Better Homes and Gardens has some pretty pictures, but do you ever notice how all the gardens look alike? There is only one "type" of garden that they profile. Plant profiles are awful, but what do you expect? It's not a GARDENING magazine. As such, I only look at it when there is an issue sitting in the waiting area where I get my hair cut. Same with Martha, but her plant profiles are better, showing at least the range of a group of plants such as bromeliads.

I still enjoy seeing what Sunset magazine is showing every month. Sometimes there is even something that gets me excited.

But I look forward to when Garden Design arrives. It always shows great gardens. The paper quality is very nice, and the layouts are attractive. Even though they redesigned the cover and I liked the old one better, it still looks good (this month's issue has an article on mail-order, with photos that got my heart pumping!). This month's issue is a bit thin, but I hope that improves as the economy improves, and they develop the new design, that it will be a tome. I'm excited that they started a new department Edible, about growing your own food. I really hope this magazine doesn't go under. I have every issue since 1996. My earliest issue is from 1992. And I STILL look at them.

Anyone have suggestions for good magazines?

6 comments:

  1. I sadly feel the same about Horticulture. I inherited a few dozen issues from my Grandmother when she passed and positively adored them. I read and re-read them (we were too poor to afford a subscription for new issues) for years! I sort of forgot about it until recently, saw it on the newsstand at a local bookstore. I know the old design was a bit dated, but I actually miss it, it was simple, straight-forward and honest. These days, I'm a sucker for Gardens Illustrated and British Gardens Magazine. It helps that or climate is similar (now that I live in Portland and not Nebraska!) so I don't have to pine over plants that I could never have. Both mags are what I'd label "Garden Porn", sort of aspirational, but have nice features and will usually have at least one feature on a specific plant each issue, in addition to great gardens. Fine Gardening is also a good one, I've picked up my fair share of issues and generally enjoy it as well. I'll have to look at Garden Design again next time I'm at the book store...I bought one once and it seemed a little cold and "Dwell-ish".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about most of the magazines that are available out there. Like you I still enjoy Sunset and Garden Design. The only other recommendation I have is Landscape Architecture magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like Phoenix Home and Garden, since they often show desert-inspired work that is well-designed.

    While the budgets of featured projects are probably the largest in the SW (as opposed to Abq's), one can get inspired and adapt ideas for their place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Scott - yeah, I had to stop looking at Gardens Illustrated since it just didn't work for my climate. Perfect for you!
    Jared - what bugs me about Landscape Architecture magazine is the really rudimentary treatment of plants. Since I'm no longer designing, I let my membership to ASLA slide.
    DD- I'll have to check out Phoenix H&G.
    Nancy - when I look at Pacific Horticulture, I just end up dreaming about California. But maybe I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been sadly watching the decline of Horticulture, myself. It seems these days that it's just a weblog of garden sites. And since I can do a better selection of garden sites on my own (people who actually garden in the same or a similar climate to mine) I don't see the point.

    They seem to be trying to do a web-based magazine these days, and I'm just not interested in going online for a magazine.

    I like the solid feel of paper in my hands. And I like a photo-rich magazine that doesn't have 50% bleed through from front of page to back (they did up the paper quality after letting it get to almost newsprint thickness)

    Anyway. I preload all my subscriptions when I have extra cash. I've been mostly done with Hort for over a year, but I'm paid up till summer of next year. They still have time to reel me back in. But I suspect they are going down and out for the count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phoenix H&G has a great annual March gardening issue.

    They also will feature gardens from Albuquerque and Santa Fe a few times a year.

    If you are okay with paying a for a year to get 5-8 articles that apply, I'd give it a go. If you are like me, and want every page to apply (ha ha ha, low desert gardens get so little press) I'd buy the March issues and give the rest a pass.

    ReplyDelete