Monday, May 10, 2010

pinks are (frequently) pink


You may already know that pinks are not called pinks because of their color, but because most of the cultivated varieties have serrated edges that look as if they might have been cut by pinking shears. But pinks are frequently pink. 'Firewitch' above, is a brilliant pink, and a nice plant form. 'Bath's Pink' (below) is pale pink on a very vigorous plant whose vigor can make the plant a bit unkempt looking. 

This un-named pink (below) was purchased as 'Firewitch' but clearly is not. I still find it charming.


Dianthus leucophaeus (below) opens at  night, closes in the morning, and to my nose the flowers smell like beer (the better to attract moths, I suppose).
 
Addendum:  The photo quality of the first set of photos was driving me nuts, so I reshot this afternoon (4/13/2010). Ah. Much better.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - the white species w/ the star-shaped flowers is nice. (Dianthus leucophaeus)

    Best exposure(s) for you?

    Looks like a great plant for beer and moth lovers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I love it! I am adding it to my favorite links on my bog - serenityinthegarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desert Dweller: I think the best exposure depends upon the plant. Dianthus hispanicus needs full blasting sun. Some of the hybrids do better with afternoon shade.

    I think the Dianthus leucophaeus would be the star of a beer garden.

    Thanks Jan! Hope you find it amusing. Sometimes I get into moods...!

    ReplyDelete