Saturday, May 29, 2010

the whole shebang

I've been asked (berated, really) to show photos of the garden itself rather than just macro photos of individual plants. Not a good idea, I said, because my garden is a mess. It is a collection rather than a garden, with plants jammed every which way. (Above, from left to right, Salvia chamaedryoides, Yucca thompsoniana, Penstemon heterophyllus, Penstemon linaroides, Penstemon clutei, Rosmarinus officinalis 'Gorizia', Cistus x aguilarii, and a bunch of other things in there)


As such, the garden is designed for macro (or micro as you would have it) photography rather than wide angle landscape photography. The garden is also so small that I could photograph the whole thing in 4 or 5 photos. They wouldn't be very interesting photos, though. (Above, left to right and mostly hidden, Agastache descendant of 'Desert Sunrise', Achillea x kelleri, Eremurus doing pathetically, Cercocarpus breviflorus, Ceanothus caeruleus, Artemesia versicolor, Calamogrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster', Eriogonum ericifolia, Dianthus hispanicus, Quercus turbinella, pink Dianthus 'Queen of Sheba')


 By the way, since I have accepted a new job in California, anyone in the market for a house (with a  garden)? (Above, left to right, Calamogrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster', Artemesia versicolor, Agastache 'Firebird, Stachys 'Helen von Stein', Juniperus scopulorum 'Wichita Blue', Chilopsis linearis, Fallugia paradoxa, Lavandula 'Royal Velvet')

I expect that my garden in California might be more like this part of my current garden. (Trachycarpus fortunei, Lavandula x intermedia 'Grosso', Artemesia versicolor, spuria Iris 'Belize', Origanum dictamnus, Rosmarinus officinalis 'Salem', Cistus 'Ann Baker', Cupressus sempervirens, Cistus x aguilarii)

6 comments:

  1. I really like the overall look of your garden - as well as the macros! And where in California? There are so many climactic possibilities, the location will make a huge difference, as you know. We live at 1700 ft. in the Santa Cruz mtns, and everything blooms a month later than it does 12 miles away, in Santa Cruz, which is at sea level.

    Re eremurus, mine are just now putting up bloom stalks. It's been so cold and wet things are growing strangely. The roses are magnificent, however, and must think they're in England!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: your move. I look forward to seeing what you do in a new garden!

    What climate zone do you think you will be in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, that first shot is nicely unified by blues. Don't sell yourself too short on the design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes a brave gardener to show the big pictures, particularly if the gardener is a plant collector. However, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I'll be moving to the north bay (San Francisco area) although I'm debating between Napa (Sunset zone 14, longer commute with traffic, touristy, rolling hills, warm summer) and Benicia (Sunset zone 17, small town-y, half the commute time, coastal cool year-round).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya,
    I hope you will take those blue Penstemons along to the new garden.

    ReplyDelete