Wednesday, May 26, 2010

winchester cathedral

Although the flowers are far from perfect, this is the most floriferous this plant has ever been in my yard. Maybe it is trying to redeem itself. Last winter, there was pretty serious dieback, and the plant never had much energy the following summer. This past winter there was such severe dieback, that I had planned to remove the whole thing. I never got around to it, and in the Spring, from the base, many new shoots grew. Strangely, the flowers are almost scentless this year.  They are also about half the size they have been previously.

3 comments:

  1. Is it grafted? Maybe you are now enjoying the rootstock?

    Looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought that too, but I bought this as an "own-root rose" from High Country Roses, which is reliable. The flowers have the same overall appearance, just smaller. It does look nice, doesn't it? Just wish it was fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are so beautiful, it's like being right there!

    ReplyDelete