Saturday, May 7, 2011
beer time: dianthus leucophaeus
Unlike many of my other plants, my Dianthus leucophaeus appears not to have been affected by this winter's record cold. It's producing its beer-scented night blooming flowers (the flowers are sometimes scented of cloves, like the typical dianthus, but at certain times has the aroma of beer) without any signs of stress.
Here it is last year. And here it is in 2008, the year after I planted it. Before you dismiss it as the small nondescript white flowered plant with odd scented flowers that it is and decide to plant some Zaluzianskya capensis instead, take a look at the plant's overall appearance. Out of bloom, the plant looks like a precise tuft of green coral. It is evergreen, tough, drought tolerant, and the compact plant is very well mannered with charming flowers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a nice story, and this is meant so.
ReplyDeleteI got mine at Agua Fria nursery in Santa fe, but I see it also on-line at alpine nurseries. It's tiny and cute. I hoe you love it like I do!
ReplyDelete