Wednesday, May 11, 2011

eremurus



I love Eremurus, but I still haven't figured out how to make them really happy. I had one fabulous year in 2008, but since then, the performance has been decidedly lackluster. Last year I had almost no flowers at all, and didn't even bother to take any photos. This year, with the very dry winter we've had, I made sure to water and fertilize (gasp!) during the active growth period.



There has been spiking and the first blooms opened yesterday, but the spikes are much smaller than in 2008. Perhaps like bulbs, they store energy from the year before and need to prepare a year in advance. It may also have been that the ceanothus got really big and shaded them. If that is the case, next year should be much better, since not only did give them more (any) water and fertilizer, but the ceanothus was cut back to the ground due to the winter freeze. One day I'll get it right.

2 comments:

  1. I adore them everything about them. From their octopus like tuberous roots that are the size of frisbees to their strappy leaves to their tall spire like inflorescence.

    I had yellow ones in my old garden with Allium 'Globemaster' and they made me so happy. I particularly like Eremurus himalaicus and E. robustus but you need a lot of space for them.

    I would have thought your climate would be good for them. I don't think they will grow here and on the east coast I think the most I ever got out of them was 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine have been in the ground 3 years (I think) in Portland, OR. Never a bloom, not even a hit of a bloom.

    ReplyDelete