Saturday, May 21, 2011
spuria
It's spuria time at Casa Coniglio, a time that makes me feel just a little homesick. Here, where it is now home, I count the number of flowers on the plants. In California, where I grew up, the plants grow in such thick clumps, they plants flower in the hundreds. Here, I cherish each blossom as a jewel, but in California, they were so easy as to be practically weeds, growing in abandoned yards or by the roadside, and thus, ignored. Although I love all the irises, the spurias have a special place in my heart. This one, 'Ila Crawford' has been very reliable for me, even though it is planted in part shade under the redbud tree. There are three blossoms this year, but even if I had a hundred, there wouldn't be enough...and yet, to behold a single blossom is enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment