Sunday, May 29, 2011

end of the first wave


The first of the Eremurus 'Cleopatra' is also the first to finish blooming. These last few blossoms will be faded tomorrow. There are still 3-5 days left on the other plants, but the curtain is coming down on this show. I can't be too upset about it, though, since the show started on May 10, which means that when the last bud fades, the show will have lasted more than 3 weeks. That's more than 3 times as long as the tulips or the reticulata irises.


Prolonging the eremurus show even longer, the Philly Foxtail, hasn't yet opened its first blossom. This is a plant I bought 8 years ago at the Philadelphia Flower Show. Click on the link to see the story. I've assumed that this plant is E. stenophyllus but it is probably an unnamed hybrid. When it first bloomed, I was disappointed that it wasn't 'Cleopatra' that I bought it as, but now I am glad I have something to prolong the season.


No comments:

Post a Comment