So after the beach boardwalk, my parents took me to the arboretum for a quick stop. I was thrilled. The plantings were new, but it must have been the right time of the year, for there were many plants in bloom. Allowed a half hour in the garden, I spent the ride home dreaming of these plants.
Now, something like 30 years later, I've visited the garden again. The plants are much larger. Much. There are some plantings (not proteas, but an oak-like shrub or small tree) that have warning tape around them, as it was discovered that they have properties not unlike poison oak. The flowers are just as thrilling. As you can read elsewhere, the family Proteaceae are called thus because of their protean or widely varying forms. They are now relatively common in the cut flower industry.
Banksia (from Australia)
Seed cones
Look at the bark! (behind a faded flower)
Grevillea
Protea:
Leucospermum:
Leucodendron:
I live about ten miles up the mountain from the arboretum, and was a docent, leading tours there, for a few years. The plants are amazing. Most still seem to me as though they come from an alien planet. My eye has obviously been co-opted by all the English garden pictures I've seen! I still can't warm up to these Australian and South African ones for myself
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous! I love that otherworldly feeling. Of course that's one of the things that I like about the landscape here in New Mexico. It is so different from the landscapes you typically see in the magazines.
ReplyDelete