Wednesday, March 16, 2011

bursting

One of the greatest pleasures I find is that of new growth bursting forth. It's why I love bulbs. And planting seeds. And deciduous trees. And herbaceous perennials.


Well, except for that pesky habit of remaining dormant all winter.

scorpionweed

Occasionally my heart gets me into trouble, as I see something vigorously popping out of the ground, and I let it grow just to see what it becomes. Sometimes it is a weed, such as a solanum that I now can't get rid of. Sometimes it's a great treat, such as the Penstemon palmeri in my front yard.

chamisa

Well, spring is bursting forth outside of the garden, too, and on my hike (photos above), things were bursting forth. This was the first and only thing blooming:


And all these photos are a reminder to me: the background color for plants here in Albuquerque is not green. It's brown. Which means that in planning a planting, certain colors work better than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment