Wednesday, March 23, 2011

lechuguilla

I used to think that Agave lechuguilla was the sorriest excuse for an agave. The specimens that I saw had only a few thin scraggly leaves, yellowish in color, and no bud imprints. The common name A. lechuguilla is shindigger which aptly tells of what happens if you walk into one. The leaves are wickedly sharp, with a very long, very sharp, almost invisible central spine, and at just the right angle. You can just imagine it, can't you?  It would go right through them cowboy boots. But I kinda like them now. I think the only time you'd walk into one is if you were running around in the dark, drunk.


Maybe I'd better keep them out of my yard (to keep the NEIGHBORS safe!).

1 comment:

  1. I like lechuguilla, since it is tough to our conditions in the CDR...all of the extremes.

    In a landscape when planted in-mass, it actually looks less wiley, plus the way it acts as a spiky evergreen groundcover in vast hillsides is a nice model for certain landscapes, abstracted to a smaller scale. I used a related agave in a building front design, and it really works.

    ReplyDelete