Tuesday, March 22, 2011

scary mask

I always thought that Muscari was a funny name. It's name (according to the Wiki) is derived from the Latin for musk, which was thought to be the scent of the flower (my nose finds it sweet rather than musky but it probably depends upon the species). But when I first thought about the name, it reminded me instead of mascara, since each flower is lined on the edge with white. Now I think that the name sounds like scary mask. In reverse. Of course the flowers don't look anything like a scary mask, so maybe that won't work either. Whatever the case, it is muscari time at Casa Coniglio. While I don't have the space for vast banks of muscari like you see in some photos, I do have room for a few dozen clumps, and that is a very happy thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment